UNT System is transitioning telephone service from multiple technologies to a single communications platform that integrates telephony with online chat, conferencing, and collaboration. This initiative reduces the amount of effort it takes to manage systems, in addition to projected annual savings of one million dollars.
The digital transformation to Microsoft Teams for voice calling allows our institutions to take steps that move UNT System components toward a state that supports the flexibility and compatibility now required in our new workforce.
Skype for Business retired on November 12, 2020.
Existing Skype accounts converted to Microsoft Teams.
UNT System begins moving telephone service to Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft replaces all Skype for Business Online.
- File sharing and collaboration built on Microsoft Sharepoint.
- Meeting recording and online sharing with Microsoft Stream.
- Third-party application integration increases productivity.
- Make and receive calls from any device after installing Microsoft Teams.
- Available for Mac, PC, Linux, iOS, Web, and mobile devices.
What to Expect
Changes for Skype for Business users
- Skype meetings convert to Microsoft Teams meetings.
- Skype conversation history archived in Outlook, not migrated to Microsoft Teams.
- Skype prompts an install of Microsoft Teams if not present.
- Contact lists don’t migrate to Microsoft Teams.
- Your phone number moves to Microsoft Teams in the evening with a brief outage while your number is reconnected.
- Calls to your business line ring in Microsoft Teams or the mobile app.
- Recreate call settings (ex. call forwarding, simultaneous ring) in Microsoft Teams.
Changes for telephone users
- Share your phone number with outside callers. Use Microsoft Teams to find colleagues instead of using extensions.
- Calls ring to your work computer in Microsoft Teams. If you installed the Microsoft Teams app on your mobile device, calls ring there simultaneously.
How to Prepare
Start preparing for your transition to Microsoft Teams now.
- Install Microsoft Teams on your work computer. If you want, install Microsoft Teams on your mobile device.
- Familiarize yourself with Microsoft Teams and read the quick-start guide.
- Join the UNT System Teams group for community, tips, and online workshops.