If you suspect a security violation has occurred, contact your IT help desk right away. If confidential or sensitive data is associated with any computer involved in the incident, please call Information Security immediately at 940-369-7800 or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refrain from accessing or further interacting with the computer in question. This will help preserve evidence integrity before the Information Security team can collect an image for forensic analysis.
Incident Reporting Steps:
- Notify your IT help desk or IT support staff
- Notify your immediate supervisor
- Do not allow any changes to be made to the computer or related system.
If you wish to report criminal activity, contact your campus Police Department
Information To Provide When Reporting a Security Incident
- Your name, phone number, email address, and department (if applicable)
- Contact information for anyone else directly involved, especially if someone else reported this incident to you
- Date, time, and location of incident
- Description of the incident, including as much technical detail as possible
- Any relevant documentation or logs
Examples of Suspicious Activity
- Unknown activity related to your account or computing services
- Log discrepancies
- Social Engineering Attempts
- Unfamiliar user accounts or or files
- Unexpected system ports or processes
- Modification or deletion of data
- Changes in file or directory permissions
- Denial of service without obvious explanation
- Threats or harassment via email